United States vs Great Britain

You are more likely to die tripping over a gun in the UK than be shot by one. In the USA, you can be shot at any time, by anyone.

Great homes may be bought at very low costs in the USA. Ridiculous pricing in the UK mean that less people can afford their own home.

Sales tax in GA is 7%, in the UK it is 20%

The USA has no understanding of irony, the UK invented it. I love comedy, so I am at a loss sometimes, when my fellow ‘muricans do not understand it.

I can fly to the UK for about $400 - about the same it would cost me to fly to LA.

Parking is nearly always free in the USA. In the UK, you have to pay for parking nearly everywhere.

Cars must have an MOT certificate in the UK, not so in the USA.

American’s spend millions of dollars and hours of burdensome time calculating and filing their annual taxes. In the UK, no such nonsense exists with PAYE.

In the USA, being a millionaire is not unusual. In the UK, it still is (aside from the value of the family home).

Success in the USA is applauded by others. A slight resentment is apparent in the UK.

US film stars appear in British TV commercials for normal products such as insurance. You do not see British actors appearing in US commercials. The same US actors would never advertise commercial tat in America.

In the USA, I have noticed portion sizes are becoming smaller. In the UK, I have noticed them becoming larger.

The UK has a national flag-carrying airline, the US does not.

Airport security in the USA is present. Airport security in the UK is stringent.

Marmite is a national treasure in the UK. In the USA, you never see it.

More people in the USA ask me about Princess Diana as though I knew her. In the UK, more people ask me about Kennedy, as though I were alive at the time.

I can buy a mansion in Atlanta for the same price as a studio in outer London.

My three-story, lake-front property in the USA was purchased when I was 30 years of age. In the UK, at 30 years of age, I could have afforded a two-up-town-down in the Midlands.

If I walked to my nearest grocery store in my postcode, I would have walked 2 miles. If I walked the same distance from my home in England, I would be on the other side of the city.

My home city of Atlanta has a metro area of 90 miles north to south, by 40 miles east to west. A similar mileage in the UK would be Coventry - London north to south, then Coventry to Cambridge east to west. That is the size of metro Atlanta.

The longest time it ever took me to drive home in the UK, due to weather, was 40 minutes. In the USA, snow fall meant that my commute was 10 hours. I left the office early at 4.pm and got home at 2.am the following day.

The UK recognizes me as a dual citizen. The US recognizes me as an American. I have two passports.

Petrol station sandwiches in the UK are delicious (Marks and Spencer). Gas station sandwiches in the USA are downright dangerous.

In the UK, you can teach in a private school without a post graduate university degree. In the USA, not even a British undergraduate degree is accepted.

US drivers are slow, kind and courteous. British drivers are on a suicide mission.

In the winter in Coventry, UK, it gets dark at about 4pm. In Atlanta, GA, USA, we enjoy two more hours of sunlight due to the latitude of the state.

Britain is on the same latitude as Nova Scotia, whereas Atlanta, GA is on the same latitude as North Africa.

My American friends think James Corden is a funny, charismatic guy. My British friends think he is a twat. Why?

In the USA, God needs rescuing from the church. In the UK, a reverence still exists.

In the US, you can make a right turn in your car even if the light is red. In the UK, you would be cited.

Traffic islands in the UK improve traffic flow, in the US, they confuse and cause accidents.

As most cities in the USA are based on a grid, people will give directions using the North-South-East-West advisory. In the UK, this could just confuse.

A four-lane motorway in the UK can be a ten-lane highway in the USA.

In the USA, the highway system is numbered ‘evenly’ for west-east and ‘oddly’ for routes going north-south. In the UK, no such system exists.

We weigh in pounds and ounces here in the USA. Brits use kilograms and grams, although miles are still used for distance?

Americans adore the British royal family but have no idea why they exist.

The legal age for drinking in the USA is 21. In Britain, it is 18. Whereas kids can drive at 15 in the USA, but in the UK, it is 17.

If a 21 year old has sex with a 16 year old in the UK, nothing would be said. If the same were to happen in the USA, the 21 year old could serve years in prison and have to register as a sex offender.

Comments